Us Greekers

Us Greekers
Brian & I at the Rio-Antirio Bridge

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Carnival is here!!!







The big day is here and we are all set to join our Carnival group in the big parade tonight. So look forward to some good photos coming up in the next few days! In preparation for the big day there have been some fun events, like Souvlaki day and some relay races, but it all ends this weekend and we are ready! On Thurs. night we went to the "White Party" at W. Everyone had to wear all white. A lot of people rented costumes but Brian and I tried to throw something together last minute and it was very frustrating for me! No one actually ever wears ALL white so finding an all white outfit from my minimal Greek winter wardrobe was virtually impossible and I almost gave up. Maria came to the rescue and let me borrow these white bloomers, so somehow I managed to come up with a white outfit! The party was really fun and packed. The bad thing about being in a packed bar in Greece is that EVERYONE is smoking in your face, and I got some burning ashes dropped on my wrist, none too fun, and the Greeks are not afraid to push you or stomp on you if you get in their way. So, smartly we found a good spot at the bar with Fotis and Maria and some other friends and we tried to stay put for most of the night. We did venture upstairs to try to get some food but it was such chaos I gave up. We did snatch a few sandwiches though on our way back down. They played lots of Salsa music and I think I unintentionally showed some Greeks some new dance moves, haha. We had a great time!

Last Saturday Brian played a game against a team in Crete called Hania. They won 11-8! It was a good win b/c it would have put them in a very bad position had they lost and apparently it's much harder to beat this team at their home pool, so good for them! On Wed. they played NEP again, the other Patras team. It was a rough game. They were up at the beginning but fell a part in the 3rd quarter and were down by a few goals going into the fourth. I thought it was going to end ugly but in the last few minutes they scored 3 goals to bring the game up to a one goal differential and had the opportunity to score in the last few seconds to tie the game but missed two shots in a row! Such a bummer but it was really exciting at the end. Now their chances of going to the Championships are smaller but if they have a couple of good wins in the next few games they still have a chance.

No comments: