Us Greekers

Us Greekers
Brian & I at the Rio-Antirio Bridge

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brian and I have taken to going on little walks almost daily to get acquainted with the streets, cafes and shops around our apt.  This square in the picture is called Psilalonia (sp?) and is just down the street from our house.  It has cafes and restaurants surrounding it with a little fountain, statue and some sort of circular empty space, I am not quite sure of its purpose.  I like the palm trees :-).  The picture below is for anyone who knows my cat, Whiffle.  I found his ancestors!  Who knew he was Greek!

When we first arrived we were told everyone was on "Holiday" but to wait and in no time this town was bustling with people.  Brian and I walked to the main center a couple of days ago, which is a square similar to the one in the picture but much larger and with much more going on.  I was taken aback because I had not really understood the vibe of Patra until we got there, and after spotting a Starbucks (I gasped aloud with joy), I realized this town is much more happenin then I had originally thought.  Just off of the main square (Vas. Georgiou Sq.) there is a street called AG. NIKOLAOU.  This street is lined with outdoor cafes, shops, hotels, and is apparently the place to see and be seen in Patra.  It was packed with people (you wonder if people work here) sitting in the cafes, drinking their frappes and enjoying life.  At the end of this street are the giant ferries that take you to Italy or Corfu or Kefallonia or anywhere else romantic you can think of.  Being on this street really gave me an appreciation of where I am.  It gave this town a life and an attitude that I had missed my first couple of days here.  After that we found Sephora and my day was complete ;-).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aahhhh! cafe life :-) Give yourself a couple more days and you will be hooked too. So glad you found that Patra has a pulse (and Sephora).

Miss you! Hugs from Cesca and Mary