Us Greekers

Us Greekers
Brian & I at the Rio-Antirio Bridge

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Souvlaki Heaven!


I felt I had to devote a whole blog to this simple, yet amazing dish, Souvlaki.  Our last night in Athens, Anita, Brian and I went in search of a yummy dinner and we stumbled onto a block that was brimming with cafes and restaurants and we knew we had found the spot.  We sat down at a small restaurant and ordered one order of the chicken souvlaki, thinking we would just all three share it, since we weren't THAT hungry (riiiight).  After our second plate we were stuffed but all had grins of satisfaction on our faces.  There is something about this dish that makes it so special.  It might be that you get a hardy meal for under 2 Euros, in most local places, but in my opinion it is the combination of all the tastes mixed together that make it so perfect.  There is a garlicy, oniony, lemony zest to the chicken that is divine, coupled with pita bread (yumm) and tsatziki sauce (yumm yumm) and the onions and tomatoes (yumm yumm yumm)......THEN on top of it all they give you the perfectly salted potatoes (french fries) that add a cherry to your sundae.  As you can tell I could eat Souvlaki every day....and have eaten it most here.  After that comes the gyro, and my Greek diet is complete. 


No comments: